http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/0301.htm
The words from this apology is quite different than the other two I've read. It sounds more harsh and direct without any cover or better to say, fear.
For example, in chapter 1, "if in this case alone you are afraid or ashamed to exercise your authority in making public inquiry with the carefulness which becomes justice." It's more of a bold criticism.
Tertullan stated clearly their position and the gods of the pagans including the emperor's "no existence"as in Chapter 27. "Enough has been said in these remarks to confute the charge of treason against your religion: for we cannot be held to do harm to that which has no existence. When we are called therefore to sacrifice, we resolutely refuse, relying on the knowledge we possess, by which we are well assured of the real objects to whom these services are offered, under profaning of images and the deification of human names." It might looks like a serious humiliation for one who is empowered with all.
The chapter 50 is even more clear and sincere. "No one indeed suffers willingly, since suffering necessarily implies fear and danger." He stated boldly. I believe readers can read the sincerity and honesty of the author, and can read his character through the paper---maybe the embodiment of Christians' character, too.
For a wise emperor, this apology is sincere advise that he might think twice; a stupid one, a thread that would irritate him. I think I would like to be a wise one...but i am not sure how I would react if I was really put into that situation because I remember how I laughed at Christian God years ago. At least, to challenge something somebody firmly believes in is very difficult as well as dangerous, unless the Spirit of God works on the stubborn human hearts.
没有评论:
发表评论