2011年2月14日星期一

Who makes the rules? Who breaks the rules? On "piss christ" by Andres Serrano

The first glimpse of the artwork has actually made no difference to me compared with other works.It's no more than a blur picture of Christian icon until I got to know what has been used to create the blurry. I admit that the material is really "creative" but I can only accept it as another blizzard piece of art and no more other situation can make me accept it, but the explanation soothes me by saying "it is what people have done to Christ."

The art itself without explanation of the author is tricky. It can, on one hand, be advocating and defending, and on the hand, be explained as opposing. There might be no right or wrong. From the same artwork, different people will generate different conclusions and sometimes opposite conclusions. Frequently, even the artist himself doesn't have the final say for its real meaning. That might be the interesting characteristics of art, the privilege it's enjoying. 

没有评论:

发表评论