2011年1月31日星期一

On the Painting The Holy Virgin Mary by Chris Offili

What is profane?Where is the standard? The standard of human being is always changing, including the mores and rules. That's one of the reason why religion exists. Bible is not changing, the words of GOD, the standard by which man should live by, is not changing. What changes is the interpretation of the words in which lies the standard.It's just like the amendments of American  Constitution. which is amended with detailed interpretation once how many-ever year.

 Another thing is that: what is art? Lots of my friends always jokes around art----something that you don;t know what is it or the purpose of it  or you cannot give it a good reason to being that,  you can get a good excuse by calling it art. Like a rock lying on the ground, piles of messy paper, or even, piles of dung that is not specially shaped...

But when art meets religion, whether the standard also the essence of art will  be limited to fit in the religious standard? Does art have to record history? If art tries to record history, is it involuntarily turned into documentary rather than art?As I've pondered about in class, is Chris Offili's Holy Virgin Mary still the virgin Mary or not? Is the figure still the figure it should be when it's re-presented or dismantled?

Well ...As a Christian myself, I am not  insulted simply because in my simple brain, I consider it an art. Being an art means not being restricted in the box, meaning it can be whatever it can be, meaning dirty things can be worshiped and unorganized can be considered beauty.

Well....I don;t know...since nobody agrees with each other about the standard...I simply don't know whether it's the art is corrupting or the mind of human being is corrupting....

没有评论:

发表评论