Of all the book of the Holy Bible, the book of Revelation is the book I touched least. Probably it is difficult in the sense that it talks about something not happen yet. And I’m afraid it’s least quoted book of all the sermons I’ve listened to.
One of the reasons that the book is difficult might lies in the various metaphors and images it used and lots of the implied meaning related with the background from the Old Testament. For example in Revelation 3:9-10 And I went unto the angel, and said unto him, Give me the little book. And he said unto me, Take it, and eat it up ; and it shall make thy belly bitter , but it shall be in thy mouth sweet as honey. And I took the little book out of the angel's hand, and ate it up; and it was in my mouth sweet as honey: and as soon as I had eaten it, my belly was bitter. (KJV) Reve 4:7 And the first beast was like a lion, and the second beast like a calf, and the third beast had a face as a man, and the fourth beast was like a flying eagle”. Besides, the metaphor of the woman and the dragon in Revelation 12
I see the beauty of the book in the language, though the book is translated. Take the example of the description of Jesus in the first several chapters. Reve 1:4 “him which is, and which was , and which is to come ; and from the seven Spirits which are before his throne.” Reve 1:8I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is , and which was , and which is to come , the Almighty. Reve 1:17-18 I am the first and the last: I am he that liveth , and was dead; and, behold , I am alive for evermore , Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death. Reve 2:23 I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works… All these words are from either narrations or Jesus himself. The almightiness and authority are fully embodied by these wonderful words.
没有评论:
发表评论